THE OBJECTIVE OF THE BREAKFAST CLUB:
- There needs to be more community in the music industry.
- Be aware of what’s happening in TV/Movies as it relates to the Music Industry.
(In many ways the TV/Movie industry is behind the music scene [still worried about pirating], but in other ways they are leaps and bounds ahead. [2nd or 3rd screen experience.])
- Advice for writing and recording music.
(Your music should tell stories.)
(Those stories should change, and be interesting.)
(Look up 6 second theory)
(Look up only using the Black Keys <—- POP Formula)
- For CD releases, look at: CD Baby, NoiseTrade & Bandcamp
(NoiseTrade will give you emails and zip codes in exchange for downloads.)
- Adam & Scott from Low Country Kingdom are writing download code for their new CD.
(The code will trade a social share for their latest album. The reason they created their own code was to streamline the experience.)
- For streaming look at: Spotify, Rdio, SoundCloud, Pandora, DeliRadio
(It is important for these services to understand that artists want their data.)
- Everybody is on Facebook, but you should also be on Tumblr & Pinterest.
(Tumblr is for quick short messages.)
(Pinterest has lots of women on it … but you can give it some testosterone with your content.)
- Look up:
(Barrel House as a venue, but you need to know people to get a show there.)
(Zeitgeist Artist Management)
(Martin Luther McCoy’s Facebook song.)
(Revolt TV as a place to discover music.)
(Artist: Purity Ring)
- For Marketing, Look Up:
(Arcade Fire’s CD Reflector as an example of how to promote via grass-roots.)
- Suggested Read:
(How Music Works by David Burn)
- (Jason Perry Stevens: “We put out music as a way to make fans.”)
- (Martin Luther McCoy: “This group is great, it reminds me that I’m not alone in my struggles.”)
- (Nigel Brown: “You’re known by the people you work with.”)
- A list of local blogs you should be reading:
- (The Deli SF)
- (The Owl Mag)
- (Ears of The Beholder)
- (Spinning Platters)
- (Bold Italic)
- (SF Intercom) <—- shameless plug
- Bands Blogs on Tumblr that you should follow:
- (Picture Atlantic) <—- Amazing weekly content.
- (Curious Quail) <—- PIMPS
- (Growwler) <— up and coming?
- Need an RSS program to keep track of blogs? TRY:
(APP: Flipboard or WEB: Feedly)