article by: Stefan Aronsen
This month, DeliRadio sent four of its employees to SXSW. Our goal was to meet as many fans, bands, and industry professionals as possible, and spread the good news of DeliRadio. While many question whether or not it’s better to attend SXSW officially (with a pricey badge), or unofficially (without said badge), it’s my opinion that it’s best to just attend, period.
No matter how you choose to go to SXSW, one of the most important things is setting goals before you leave. So if you’re already thinking about heading to SXSW 2015, and have never been before, here are my top 5 ways for brands, bands, & industry professionals to make the best of it:
1. RSVP – RSVP to as many events as you can. And if you get to a party and you’re not on the list? Try smiling real big and saying please. Being nice goes a long way in Austin, especially during SXSW.
2. Make A List Of Contacts Attending – Create a contact list of the industry people and places you want to see while at SXSW. If you have emails or social information for the folks you want to meet, contact them ahead of SXSW, when things are more relaxed. For me, doing this got me VIP to Pandora, and past the long line at Spotify.
3. Create Goals – Establish realistic goals that you would like to accomplish while at SXSW. For instance, if your goal is meeting people from Spotify, Pandora, GoPro, or even DeliRadio, then do everything you can to meet up with those folks. But give yourself other measurements of success, so if one goal fails, you still have multiple others that could be successful.
4. Bring Schwag – Make sure to take lots of business cards, merch, and other free stuff for the people you meet. I especially recommend beer koozies… Austin loves its beer koozies.
5. Adapt - Be prepared to throw tips 1-4 out the window and go with the flow. In many cases, opportunities will present themselves that you could have never planned for. Just be ready to GO, GO, GO (and sleep when you get home).
SxSW 2014 was an amazing experience, and I’d like to thank all the companies and people I met with while in Austin: Spotify, Pandora, GoPro, Applauze, Front Gate Tickets, Sofar Sounds, Badass Bands Blog, Paste Magazine, Billions, TicketFly, Gold Robot Records, Father/Daughter Records, Small Plates Records, AEG, C3, DYN, Tech Cocktail, Chevy, Dell, XO Jane, Beautiful Buzzz, The Most Definitely, Indie Shuffle, All Things Go, Grandstand Media, Sharethrough, Creative Scotland, KUTX and ASCAP.
Were you at SxSW? How was your experience?
Powered by Facebook Comments